R792 DHB Volvo b10m Both front suspension air bags perished. We had to jack bus body up, deflate bags, remove air filter ducting, pull bags out. We renewed the bags, pistons and top plates as badly corroded, to refit we had to remove front wheels, shock absorber top mounting bolts to get axle down lower enough to squeeze in newly built up air bags and piston. When in position re inflate and check for leaks all OK. Next we had to renew a corroded air tank strap. Our next project is to renew both fuel tank straps which involves removing both tanks, we might have to renew the outer tank as it looks quite badly corroded.
The rear suspension torsion bar metalastic bushes were worn. We removed the torsion bar from the bus and cut out the old bushes. We are now trying to source new ones.
258 left pit today after a lot of mechanical work had been completed, a service and pre MOT check was also carried out. Some seat cushions now need to be re trimmed and a thorough clean of the bus before a mot test.
More progress on 258. The front doors were not opening properly so the fault was traced to the operating valve in the destination box which was leaking air. We had to modify a Dennis dart valve of which we had a good one in stock by altering the pipework to fit. This done we then found that one of the door ram seals was also leaking air again from stock was renewed. We checked and adjusted the air pressure and the doors are working correctly now. Also the 2 x engine oil filters were renewed along with the fuel filter and the water filter.
Having got the right parts, Bob and Mike set about reassembling the compressor and fitting it back into 258. Below is a photo of all the parts on the table prior to being put back into the vehicle. The pink gasket near the camera was the gasket we had trouble sourcing.
Below is a photo of the area of the engine that the compressor was put back in. As you can see there really not much space to get to it. At part during the refitting Bob was inside and Mike was behind the vehicle trying to get the best access to it.
And a photo of half of the compressor attached back into the engine.
While awaiting new parts for 25′ s compressor we made a new strap for the exhaust silencer heat shield which had been remade a while ago but not secured to bus.
A job that has been put off for a while was eventually tackled this weekend. Ex Cardiff Lynx (258) has had a compressor head gasket air leak which results in it taking awhile for the vehicle to build up air pressure. This is not a very pleasant job as access to the compressor is not easy. To fix the leak, we went for the option of just removing the head in situ. We could have removed the fuel pump and compressor but it would have required a lot more work. As the photos show the gasket was blown just a matter of sourcing new parts and reassemble.
Ex Cardiff dart 184 on pit this weekend, Mike Bishop and Bob Sparks removed the engine side cover which was leaking oil badly. Not a pleasant job as a lot of components including the fuel pump had to be removed to access the offending cover. Luckily Mike B had done a few of these in his time. Below are a selection of photos showing the work being carried out.
Newport 141 also returned from its dock visit after throttle electrical fault diagnosis by Paul Burgess using Scania kit supplied by our friends at Cardiff Bus a number of years ago as it was obsolete to the current fleet. The increasing complexity of the most modern vehicles means a range of skills and equipment is needed to keep them running.
N143 PTG (Optare Metrorider). When we replaced the throttle pedal unit we found that the brake foot valve was badly corroded. As part of our preventative maintenance we decided to order a new valve and this has been fitted this weekend. 143 is now a fully operational vehicle now.
UTG 313G (Ex P.U.D.C and Taff-Ely AEC Regent V) has had a new exhaust flex and clamps fitted. The fuel lift pump filter was cleaned out and system bleed. We then checked the vehicle over for mot and a few minor jobs were attended to.
Also our resident painter applying a coat of gloss to Beany (K91 BNY – our ex Rhondda Dennis Dart).